The concept of healthy skin was first introduced in 1983 by Dr. Zein Obagi. He spoke about specific and recognizable histological, physiological and various clinical attributes and used the skin of a baby as the perfect model for healthy skin. According to him, any kind of skin treatment should correct all kinds of abnormalities and attain the desired results. As per Dr. Obagi skin health means different things to different kinds of people. Some people define healthy skin as flawless, beautiful, young and glowing; however these terms define the subjective characteristics and not the quantifiable characteristics of the skin.
What Is Healthy Skin?
According to Dr. Obagi, healthy skin should have the following characteristics,
- Evenness in color tone
- Tight and firm
- Well hydrated
- Tolerant to various environments
- Rich in contour
- Free of any kind of disease
How To Achieve Optimum Skin Health?
Dr. Obagi has a four step process to achieve the best skin health. These steps include:
- Restore smoothness of the skin, even out the color tone and build tolerance.
- Provide uniform hydration to the skin.
- Improve the circulation in the skin.
- Regulate the cellular functions of the skin.
While most of us begin our lives with unflawed healthy skin, various hereditary, environmental and internal factors affect the skin. In addition, the skin also gets affected by the natural process of ageing. Various activities also cause the skin to deteriorate and decrease the health of the skin. Clinical, anatomical and physiological changes also occur due to photo ageing (damage by the sun) or intrinsic aging. Skin can start feeling a sense of dullness and dryness, wrinkling, laxity, jowling, skin thinning and bruising easily. Although we are not qualified to detect these changes in our youth, they do occur over a period of time and become a lot more visible with age.
Here are a few tips on how to take care of your skin at different stages in your life.
- Hormone related skin problems can be quite a headache during your teens and even after that. Acne breakouts in the skin can be cured and prevented by further occurrence by visiting an authorized physician. Dermatologists often prescribe retinol and benzoyl peroxide or even Retin-A. Using a fragrance free cleanser also helps a lot in preventing acne breakouts.
- The stage of pregnancy is the most exciting stage in a woman’s life. However, one of the downsides of this stage is the hormonal flux that creates various skin issues such as melasma that usually fade after delivery. Melasma are dark spots that appear on the face. If this bothers you, there are lightening agents that can be prescribed by your gynecologist.
- When you are in your 40’s, damage done to the skin starts showing up a lot more prominently. Ensure that monthly checks are done to detect early signs of skin trouble and even skin cancer.
- Consider getting a prescription to use creams that reduce the signs of ageing, wrinkles and age spots. Choose a product that has a high level of antioxidants that will reduce the damage of UV to the skin.